Hazrat Muhammad (S.A.W.) the Prophet of Islam, delivered his famous Last Sermon during his last hajj before a large gathering of Muslims on and around Mount Arafat. This occasion is also known as the Prophet’s Farewell Pilgrimage. Arafah or Arafat is on the road to Taif, lyingteen miles to the east of Makkah. It means The Mount of Mercy. It is a hill surrounded by valleys on all sides. The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) stood on Mount Arafah and delivered the Last Sermon in which he said, Today is the day of the greater pilgrimage on the holy land in the holy month. It is unlawful for you to Kill one another, as all Muslims are brothers to each other. It is unlawful for you to snatch others’ property, till you meet your Lord after death.
The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) further said, Hear me, O people, for I know not if I shall meet you in this place after this year. Remember, you must treat each other well. Finally he said, I have left amongst you the Holy Quran. If you hold fast to it, it shall preserve you from all errors. He then imparted a revelation (Whai) which he had just received, Fear not the disbelievers, but fear God. This day I have done a great favour for you. I have perfected your religion for you. I have chosen Islam as the religion for the Muslims.
The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) ended his sermon with this question. O People, have I delivered faithfully unto you my message Thousands of people gathered there said altogether, Allahumma na m which means O God yes. Then the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) raised his finger and said, O God, bear witness. The Prophet (S.A.W.) delivered many sermons during his life, but in the Last Sermon, he summarized the message of Allah. It is one of the best charters of human rights not only for the Muslims but for the entire world.
No comments