CHAPTER 1
When I was a young man, In my early twenties I fell in love with a girl named Gladys Hungerton. Gladys was the most beautiful a girl named girl I had ever seen she had dark hair, large brown eyes, and delicate ivory skin. Unfortunately, Gladys was not in love with me though we spent many hours together talking this I made the decision to propose to Gladys. I knew there was a chance she would reject my propose but I had to try. And so one cold october evening I visited Gladys at her house and asked her to marry me.Oh edward said Gladys after a long pause we have such a beautiful friendship why can't we simply remin friends? Because I love you Glady I exclaimed. I want to spend the rest of my life with you! Gladys gave me a look of pity. But I don't Love you, Edward, and I have never loved you. Why can't you love me, Gladys? I cried. Is it my appearance? Gladys squeezed my hand gently. No of coures not she said. Is it my character? I asked. Tell me what you want me to change! Gladys sighad. Edward, let me explain to you what kind of man I want I want a man who has no fear of death a man who has travelled the world and who has had many exciting adventures. I want to marry a man who's brave, heroic and famous! All right I said. If you want a brave and heroic man, I will do something that I said. If you want a brave and heroic man, I will do want to marry a man, I will do something that will make you proud. Gladys laughed at my enthusiasm. What are you going to do? she asked. I don't know I replied. But if I do something great will you marry me then? Well see said Gladys with a smile. Now you're great will you marry me then? well see said Gladys with a smile. Now, you're working the night shift at the paper and you're running late. I said goodnight to Gladys and walked briskly to the offices of the Daily Gazette, where I worked as a journalist. When I arrived, I immediately made my way to the News Editor's office. Good evening Mr McArdle I said knocking on the door Hello Mr Malone replied McArdle. I must say I really enjoyed your latest article you've done some excellent work for us. Why thank you I said. What did you want to see me about? I'd like you to send me on a mission for the paper. What sort of mission did you have in mind Mr Malone? An adventure I replied. A dangerous adventure McArdle raised an eyebrow. You seem very eager to lose your life he said. I need to do something heroic I explained My future depends on it. McArdle looked at me curiously. Im afraid we only send very experienced journalists on important missions he said. Wait a minute I have an idea would you be interested in interviewing Professor George Callenger? Professor Challenger? I repeated. The famous zoologist? Didn't he punch a journalist from The Telegraph the other day? McArdle nodded. Two years ago professor Challenger went on an expedition to south America. When he came back last year, he told everyone that he'd seen dinosaurs and other strange beasts. Most people think he's lying about what he saw. The journalist from The Telegraph called him a liar too that's why he punched him. After that encounter, Challenger stopped doing interviews. Perhaps you can convince him to do one last interview I'm sure our readers woul be interested to find out more about him adventures. McArdle handed me a thick file. Here's some information on the professor you might need it. I took the file and looked through the notes. Do you think he's telling the truth? I asked. McArdle shook his head. I doubt it very much he said. All right I said. I'll pay professor Chalenger a visit. I returned to my office and wrote a letter to the Professor asking him to meet me the following Wednesday. Then I spent the rest of my shift reading through McArdle's notes. I had no idea then that my interview with Professor Challenger was about to change my life forever.
CHAPTER 2
On wednesday morning I Arrived at my office and found a letter from Professor Challenger on my desk. He had agreed to be interviewed at his house at ten o' clock. I quickly gathered my notes and took a cab to the professor's house in Enmore Park. When I arrived I knocked on the door and the professor's butler answered it. Do you an appointment he asked. I have a letter I said as I handed it to him. The butler nodded and showed me in. I followed him to the end of a passage he tapped lightly on a door and I heard the professor shout from inside. The butler pushed open the door and there was Professor Challenger, sitting behind a large table covered with books, maps and diagrams. His appearance made me gasp he had a red face and a black beard, and his blue grey eyes were framed by thick black evebrows. He was a large man with broad shoulders and a wide chest, and his enormous hands were covered in long black hairs. Well? he said. What is it? I cleared my throat nervously. Good morning Professor Challenger, I'm Edward Malone from the Daily Gazette. Challenger nodded. Yes Yes sit down. I did as I was told. Thank you for agreeing to see me today I said. Challenger put on his spectacles. I presume you want to talk about my trip to South America? I nodded. First, let me say this the only reason I agreed to do this interview is because I like your newspaper. If you dare call me a liar, I'll punch you like I didi the other fellow am I making myself clear? I nodded. Yes sir. I removed a notepad and a pencil from my poket and began my interview with Professor Challenger. Why did you travel to South America? I asked. I went to South America to study the animals of the Amazon. After many months of research, I made my way back down the river, and spent a night at a small Indian village inhabited by Cucama Indians. I had visited that village before and had given the Indians some medicine, so they knew me well. The following morning the cheif woke me up and took me to a hut to help a man who was very ill. Unfortunately, by the time I arrived, the man was already dead. I was surprised to see that the man was white, not Indian. He was dressed in rags and according to the Indians, had arrived at the village in a terrible state of exhaustion. The man's knapsack was lying on the bed and I opened it and looked inside. There was a name written on the tab Maple White, Lake Avenue, Detroit, Michigan. The knapsack contained pictures of a river, chalk, paint, paintbrushes, a bone, a gun and a few cartriges. The bag also contained this Professor Challenger removed a sketchbook from his desk drawer and placed it on the table. Open it he said I opened the sketchbook on the first page was a picture of a fat man in a green jacket-the name jimmy Colver' was written underneath it. The book contained drawings of Indians, turtles and other animals, as well as a drawing of a series of red cliffs. On the last page of the book was a sketch of the most extraordinary animals I had ever seen it had the head of a bird, the body of a lizard and a spiked tail. Well, what do you think of that? asked Challenger Im not quite sure I said It looks like a dinosaur The Professor leaned back in his chair. It is a dinosaur. But what makes you think this Maple White fellow actually saw a dinosaur? I asked Perhaps he imagined it? Challenger sighed. Then what do you make of this? He took a bone out of a leather bag and handed it to me. This bone was in Maple White's Knapsack. Can you identify it? I examined the bone is curved this is straight said Challenger impatiently. Perhaps it belongs to an elephant? I said. Challenger shook his head. This bone belongs to a dinosaur. I'm afraid I'm going to need more proof, Professor I said. All right said Challenger then I'll continue with my story. Once I'd seen Maple White' s dinosaur sketch, I decided to explore the area further. I asked two of the Indians to guide me to the red cliffs that Maple White had drawn in his book. They were reluctant at first the Indians believe that evil spirits called Curupuri haunt the cliffs but I persuaded them to help me. After a long and difficult journey up the river and through the forest, we finally arrived at the red cliffs. Challenger removed a photograph was badly damaged, but I could still see the outline of the red cliffs. Unfortunately our boat overturned on the return journey, and my camera and film were ruined so I don't have much proof of what I saw he explained. I only have a couple of damged photos but everyone thinks they're fake. Challenger showed me another photo this one of a strange bird in an enormous tree. What is that? I asked. A bird? The professor shook his head. No it isn't a bird. I shot it so that I would have proof of my experiences. You have it here then? I asked. I had it said Challenger. Unfortunately it was lost in the same boat accident that ruined my photos All I have left is part of its wing Challenger reached into a leather bag and pulled out the upper part of what looked like the wing of a large bat. That's a bat wing!' I exclaimed. The professor looked at me squarely. This wing belongs to a pterodactyl, a flying reptile of the Jurassic period. Challenger opened a book and showed me an illustration of a pterodactyl. The wing looked exactly like the wing that was on the desk. Suddenly, there was no doubt in my mind that the professor was telling the truth about what he'd I told him that I believed him and he leaned back in his chair and smiled warmly. But where did Maple White see the dinosaur? I asked. I think he managed to climb to the top of the cliffs I didn't have time to do that said Challenger. But Professor this wing is proof of your encounter why won't anyone belive you? I asked. Challenger shrugged. I don't know, he said. People are either stupid or jealous. Tonight I'm going to the Zoological Institute to give a talk about my experiences in the Amazon. The talk starts at eight o clock-you're very welcome to come. Thank you Professor, I said. I will. With that the interview ended and I quickly made my way back to the office.
CHAPTER 3
When I retured to The office, McArdle was at his desk. Well he asked, how did it go? Better than I expected I said. McArdle learned back in his chair. So do you believe the professor's nonsense about discovering dinosaurs? Actually I said I think Challenger might be telling the truth about what he saw in South America. McArdle's jaw dropped open. you can't be serious? he said. Does he have any proof? I shook my head. His camera and most of this films were destroyed, so he dosesn't have much proof. He did however show me a wing which he says belonged to a pterodactyl. McArdle twisted his moustache thoughtfully. Malone, people don't make enormous disciveries and then lose the evidence. I'm convinced he's lying. Well, the professor is going to discuss his findings at the Zoological Institute tonight I said. He's invited me to go. Perhaps you should come too? All right, Said McArdle, I will. When we arrived at the Zoological Institute Hall, we found it full of professors, medical students and members of the public who were eager to hear Professor Challenger speak. Shortly before eight o'clock, the chairman of the Zoological Institute, the Duke of Durham, introduced Professor Challenger and Invited him to the stage. Ladies and gentlemen, said Challenger, I know you have come here today to hear about my journey to South America so I will discovered a forgotten world where dinosaurs still exist. Lair shouted someone frome the audience. Prove it! shouted another. Challenger's face turned red. Liar? he repeated. You dare call me that? Some members of the audience began to boo. All right then, said the Professor, there's only one way I can prove to you that I am telling the truth someone in this room must travel to South America with me to confirm my story. The audience was silent. Mr Summerlee a professor of anatomy, stood up. I will volunteer for this mission he said. The audience gasped. Any other volunteers? asked Professor Challenger. I immediately thought of Gladys this was exactly the kind of adventure she would want me to go on. Without any hesitation, I jumped to my feet, My name is Edward Malone and I am a journalist at the Daily Gazette I too will volunteer to go on this trip. Than another man stood up. My name is Lord John Roxton he said. I have already travelled to the Amazon and I know the area well I also want to go on this trip. The chairman rose to his feet. Thank you gentlemem he said. He turned to Professor Challenger Professor these three men will go with you to south America to investigate your claims. Professor Challenger nodded the audience cheered and the meeting ended. It was very brave of you to volunteer for the mission said McArdle as we stepped out into the cool night air. I look forward to reading your article when you return. Suddenly I was filled with a feeling of dread. I hope I haven't made a terrible mistake I muttered to myself. On a wet and foggy morning a few weeks later Professor Summerlee, lord Roxton and I boarded a ship to South America. We had made arrangements to meet Professor Challenger at a town on the Amazon river called Manaus. I won't bore you with details of our journey except to say that we arrived safely in Manaus, and met with Professor Challenger at a small hotel in town. This is probably a good time to tell you a bit more about my travelling companions Professor Summerlee was tall and thin, in his mid-sixties with the energy of a man half his age. Lord John Roxton was in his forties he too was a thin man with blue eyes and a gentle voice. Lord John was a famous hunter and explorer, and had travelled to South America many times. He was also fluent in the local languages. Professor Challenger had employed some men to help us travel through the local guides named Gomez and Manuel and three Mojo Indians from Bolivia who were expert fisherman. Their names were Mojo John hired a steamship the Esmeralda to take us down the river. We travelled for six days and when the river began to narrow we filled two canoes with all our possessions and continued our journey into the unkonwn.
CHAPTER 4
We spent several days rowing down the river on two occasions we had to carry our canoes through the woods to avoid the dangerous rapids. One afternoon we heard the sound of drums beating in the distance. What is that? I asked. War drums replied Lord John. Ive heard them before. Yes said Gomez. They re war drums The Indians are watching us they'll kill us if they can. I turned to look at the dark green trees that surrounded us, imagining the eyes of the Indians upon us. The river was as still as glass and emerald in colour and as we moved slowly along it our paddles sent a thousand ripples across its shiny surface. Eventually the sound of the drums faded away. No Indains here said Gomez. They're afraid of Curupuri. That's the evil spirit of the cliffs explained Lord John. I nodded remembering my first conversation with Professor Challenger. In time the river became too shallow to navigate so we hid our canoes in the bushes and continued the rest of our journey on foot. we filled our backpacks with guns ammunition blanket food and other provisions and made our way north. Two days later we approached the cliffs we clearly visible in the distance. There are the cliffs I said. Professor Challenger smiled and said nothing. As we approached the cliffs we saw trees and bushes on the summit but no other signs of life. Exhausted from our journey we set up camp at the foot of the cliffs and went to sleep. The next morning we discussed how we were going to climb to the plateau at the top the cliffs. This side is too steep to climb said Challenger peering up at cliffs. We need to walk around the cliffs and look for a way up. The ground at the foot of the foot of the cliffs was rocky and broken and the going was slow and difficult. At around midday, we made a surprising discovery an old abandoned campsite. we found empy meat tins and bottles and a newspaper the Chicago Democrat. Professor Challenger's eyes lit up when he saw the newspaper. This must be Maple White's campsite This proves we're on the right track Lord John glanced at a nearby tree and noticed that a piece of wood had been nailed to it. That looks like a signpost he said. Challenger examined the signpost. Maple white knew someone would come looking for this place so he left a clue. Further down from the campsite we came across a thick patch of bamboo. The stems were twenty feet high and extremely sharp and looked very much like spears. As we passed along the edge of the bamboo I noticed a white object inside it. I poked my head between the stems and to my horror saw a human skull. The skeleton was also there lying a short distance away. I gasped and my companions crowded around me curiously. Let's clear away the the bamboo and get a closer look said Summerlee. The skeleton's clothes were torn, but its boots were still on its bony feet. A pen and a gold watch lay near the bones. The initials JC were engraved on the watch. Who can he be asked Lord John Poor man every bone in his body seems to be broken. I think I know who he is said Challenger. Maple White was travelling with an American named James Colver JC He either fell into this bamboo patch or someone threw him off the edge of the cliff said Lord John. How else could all his bones have been broken? There was no doubt the men had fallen from above. But was it an accident or not? We continued our journey in silence. An hour later we found a chalk drawn arrow on a rock pointing westward Another clue from Maple White said Challenger Five miles later there was another chakh-drawn
No comments